The Katherine Vaughns Internship Program
Introducing young people to a full season working in a professional theater setting.
The Katherine Vaughns Internship Program gives recent graduates an opportunity to spend a season working in a professional theater setting. The program is named for long-time trustee Katherine Vaughns, a supporter and lover of the arts.
For more than 30 years, Center Stage has helped cultivate the next generation of theater makers through this highly competitive program, bridging the gap between university and professional theater by providing early-career artists and administrators with hands-on experience and guidance. Center Stage welcomes a new class of 14 administrative, artistic, and production interns each season.
Deadline for applications is April 15, 2019, or until the internship is filled.
- Pay: Thanks to funding from generous donors, Baltimore Center Stage is able to pay interns a small weekly stipend. Interns often have the chance to make additional income by working in the box office, house managing, and bartending.
- Housing: Every Intern if provided a furnished studio apartment two blocks from the theater. There is no charge to the intern for housing, and free internet access is provided.
- Great Location: Baltimore Center Stage is located in Baltimore's vibrant Mount Vernon Cultural District, with convenient access to restaurants, the Inner Harbor, and urban nightlife. Baltimore is also a short ride away from the dynamic scenes of New York and Washington, DC.
- Professional Development: Interns are offered the following opportunities to help further develop their professional careers:
- Intern Seminars: These regular meetings are an opportunity for interns to learn from and network with theater professionals.
- Portfolio Reviews: Interns are encouraged to keep their portfolios updated throughout the season for portfolio reviews.
- Evaluations: Interns are evaluated within 90 days of arrival and again at the end of the internship. Evaluations provide a formal framework within which to discuss progress, identify goals, and articulate mutual expectations.
- Applicants must commit full time to one entire season at Baltimore Center Stage typically from mid-August to early June.
- We are unable to accept applications from non-US citizens, because of the resources required securing visas.
- Completed Application
- Portfolio/Work Samples Certain internships require a portfolio or work samples be submitted with your application. Please refer to the internship descriptions for portfolio and work sample guidelines. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Professional Resume Please include two references (no letters of recommendation please).
- Cover Letter (1-2 pages) Please use this as an opportunity to show us your personality, including information not found elsewhere in your application. Within the body of your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- How have your experiences in theater and the performing arts brought you to where you are today?
- How will these experiences support your work at Baltimore Center Stage?
- Where would you like to see yourself in the future?
Applications for the 2019/20 Season are available here.
We do not offer Summer Internships.
If you have a specific question about the Katherine Vaughns Internship Program, please email us at email@example.com.