Illustration by Sophie Leigh Fisher
YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL
The Young Playwrights Festival has been the flagship education program at Baltimore Center Stage for over 31 years. Students in grades K–12 throughout Maryland are eligible to submit plays to our annual Young Playwrights Festival. Winning plays are honored with workshops and a professional production at Baltimore Center Stage.
This season’s Young Playwrights Festival will take place on Friday, April 12, 2019.
This year's theme is "Truth or Dare."
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Young Playwrights Festival (YPF) has been our flagship education program for over 31 years.
- We have our own terrific curriculum—full of playful exercises to help students create.
- At the start of the school year, we embed our professional teaching artists in partner schools across the state of Maryland.
- Through our residency program, our professional teaching artist leads a class of up to 25 students through the play-writing process; producing short plays that can be submitted to the annual Young Playwrights Festival competition.
- Students in grades 1–12 are given tools to communicate their ideas, develop characters, write dialogue, and shape their stories.
- Classroom teachers find new ways to engage students in writing.
- In January, we invite and receive hundreds of play submissions from participants in our residencies, and many more from students across the state.
- In the spring, up to six plays are chosen to receive a professional production at Baltimore Center Stage.
- All Young Playwrights Festival honorees are assigned a mentor to help them refine and edit their scripts before the plays are presented.
- The final product from each playwright is directed into one cohesive fully realized production put together by our Education Department, professional designers, and actors.
Young Playwrights Festival (YPF) Residency Program
BRING A YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL RESIDENCY TO YOUR SCHOOL!
In eight sessions, our professional teaching artist will lead your class of up to 25 students through the playwriting process; producing short plays that can be submitted to the annual Young Playwrights Festival competition.
Only $800 per YPF residency (8 sessions)
FREE YPF RESIDENCIES FOR BALTIMORE CITY AND BALTIMORE COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS!
A limited number of Young Playwrights Festival Residencies are offered FREE to under-resourced public schools in Baltimore City and Baltimore County, by application.
To bring a YPF Teaching Artist to your classroom, or to apply for a YPF school scholarship, please complete the online application form.
To learn more about YPF, email email@example.com or call 410.986.4051.
YPF residencies are offered, in part, through a contract with VSA Kennedy Center.