- By Nambi E. Kelley
- Directed by Kwame Kwei-Armah
- Based on the book by Toni Morrison
A WORLD PREMIERE
In Morrison’s exhilarating novel, Joe and Violet move from the Virginia countryside to Harlem at the turn of the century, young and in love. Twenty years later, Joe’s interactions with a young woman set off a series of violent events and unforgivable acts. Peeling back layers and alternating perspectives expose ultimately sympathetic characters, who—like the growing New York neighborhood and the winding woods of their youth—reveal their own rhythms.
“Jazz is the very form and voice of this wonderful book.”—The Baltimore Sun
Content Advisory: Some violence, sexual content, and adult themes may render this exhilarating story based on the Toni Morrison novel appropriate for most theatergoers in high school and up.
Come early to see our interactive Jazz lobby experience—our first audience enhancements in our completely renovated 4th floor!
And check out the show program ahead of time. Take a minute to meet the cast, read Kwame’s introduction, and review a timeline of events that helps introduce the characters and the historical context of this poetic and nonlinear play.
Approximate runtime is 1 hour and 20 minutes. There will be no intermission.
Behind the Scenes - Part 2
Hair, Wig, & Makeup Design
Assistant Stage Manager
In the Press
For all other press related information please go to our Press Room or contact:
Robyn Murphy at 410.986.4016 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the News
- Baltimore Magazine—The Launch: May 2017
- Baltimore Magazine—Toni Morrison’s Jazz Comes to Life at Center Stage
- American Theatre—Playwright Nambi E. Kelley Riffs on ‘Jazz’
- DC Metro Theater Arts— Review ‘Jazz’ at Baltimore Center Stage
- Backstage Baltimore— Review: Jazz at Baltimore Center Stage
- The Baltimore Sun— A kinetic premiere of 'Jazz' at Baltimore Center Stage
- MD Theatre Guide— Theatre Review: ‘Jazz’ at Baltimore Center Stage
- DMV202arts.com— Theatre Review: ‘Jazz’ at Baltimore Center Stage
- DC Theatre Scene— Toni Morrison’s Jazz at Baltimore Center Stage (review)
- Broadway World— JAZZ Has World Premiere at Baltimore Center Stage Based on Toni Morrison Novel
- The Virginian-Pilot— Baltimore stage company giving world premiere to play based on Toni Morrison's
- Rousuck's Review: Toni Morrison's "Jazz" At Baltimore Center Stage