Employment opportunities at Baltimore Center Stage range from year-round positions that are fulltime, to seasonal positions that are full or part-time, to temporary "job-in" labor. Current openings are listed below. Please observe posted application guidelines.
Baltimore Center Stage is committed to building a diverse community of staff and interns. Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Patron Services Shift Supervisor
Baltimore Center Stage is seeking Patron Services Shift Supervisor(s). The Shift Supervisor performs all the functions of a Patron Services Associate; using best practices in customer service and sales, they provide patrons with a positive experience while adhering to organizational policies and procedures. Duties will include providing courteous and efficient service to all patrons, selling single tickets and memberships, and answering telephones, and processing mail as needed. They will ensure customer service is delivered to the highest standard and support the wider organization in the effective use of audience data, working closely with the Marketing, Ticketing, and Development departments. This position will be required to work weekends and evenings during production performance runs.
Specific tasks include:
- Oversee Box Office Will Call and shift manage Patron Service Associates
- Provide outstanding customer service in day-to-day ticket and subscription sales, by phone and in person; order processing; serving as an information resource for our patrons
- Lead Patron Service Associates to provide an excellent customer service experience
- Assist the Box Office Manager in the supervision of Patron Services Associates
- Ensure the accuracy and proper maintenance of all computerized patron data
- Print Will Call tickets prior to performances and work Will Call
- Communicate promotions and discounts with Patron Service Associates
- First point of contact for problem resolution, escalated patron inquiries, and lost and found
- Answer patrons’ questions concerning theater programs, schedules, directions, etc.
- Process payments, accepting cash, check, or credit card; ensure control of monies received at all times
- Print tickets; verify accuracy and non-duplication of seats, dates and venue; accurately package and mail tickets
- Properly respond to and archive emails sent to the Box Office email alias
- Assist with maintenance of patron accounts in Tessitura Customer Relations Management database
Position qualification requirements:
- Strong attention to detail
- Two years customer service experience, live theater ticketing environment preferred
- Ability to communicate well and follow instructions both orally and in writing
- Management or supervisory experience, 2 years, box office or similar, preferred
- Thorough knowledge of and comfort with Tessitura or another ticketing software, preferred
- Outstanding judgement and customer service skills
- Ability to work at least 4 evenings per week during show runs
Position is full-time, year-round with benefits.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Shift Supervisor" in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Baltimore Center Stage is seeking a Facilities Supervisor. The position is responsible for the oversight and management of all properties owned or leased by Baltimore Center Stage. This includes but is not limited to supervision of ongoing and preventative maintenance and repair of all systems, fixtures, and equipment incorporated on or within; supervision of any full- and part-time operations staff and outside contractors; management of facility expense budgets. The position reports to the Associate Managing Director, and supervises the Operations Assistant.
Specific tasks include:
- Maintenance of building systems including but not limited to, HVAC, security, electrical, plumbing
- Maintenance and selective repair of equipment, furniture, and fixtures
- Negotiation and compliance of all facility related service contracts including but not limited to HVAC, janitorial and pest control
- Respond to facility emergencies as required
- Supervise any full and part-time operations staff
- Oversight of contracted agents engaged for repair or replacements within the facilities
- Participate in facility renovation projects
- Other duties assigned to you by your supervisor
Qualified individuals would have three to five years experience in facility management; ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables; ability to effectively communicate to co-workers and direct reports; certification in one or more of the following: electrical, mechanical, HVAC and refrigeration systems, or plumbing; ability to lift 50lbs; have a valid driver’s license; and experience in spreadsheets and budgeting.
Position is full-time, year-round with benefits. Send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com. Please put "Facilities Supervisor" in the subject line. Baltimore Center Stage is committed to building a diverse community of staff and interns. Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Baltimore Center Stage is seeking a self-starting, highly organized Company Manager to join our fast-paced Artistic Department. The Company Manager is an integral part of the Artistic team and takes the lead on providing exceptional concierge service to the 100+ guest artists that visit Baltimore Center Stage each year. The ideal candidate can work both independently and collaboratively, loves theater, and has a minimum of two years’ experience in company management or related arts management field. This is a fulltime exempt position.
- Manage and coordinate travel and housing arrangements for all guest artists at Baltimore Center Stage
- Manage on-call cellphone while guests artists are on premises
- Report to and collaborate with the Artistic Administrator to fulfill contract requirements, maintain and track company management budget lines, and monthly budget reconciliation
- Mentor and supervise Company Management Intern
- Coordinate with Operations to maintain all Baltimore Center Stage housing at both AEA and non-union guest standards
- Provide superior care at all times, offering exceptional service to guest artists
- Attend and participate in Artistic staff meetings and season planning process with an eye for maintaining Baltimore Center Stage’s level of service
Requirements for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to work productively and effectively under pressure and with competing deadlines
- Maintain flexibility and act opportunistically
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate and collaborate efficiently with multiple departments
- Ability to lift a minimum of 40 lbs
Baltimore Center Stage is committed to building a diverse community of staff and interns. Individuals from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Company Manager" in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Operations Maintenance Assistant
Baltimore Center Stage is accepting applications for the position of Operations Maintenance Assistant. The focus of the position is the care and maintenance of all Baltimore Center Stage properties and facilities: 700 N. Calvert St., 809–815 Calvert St. housing, and 12 & 14 Madison St. housing.
Primary duties include but are not limited to:
- Maintenance of quality-of-life items (alarm notifications; replacing lights bulbs; repairing light fixtures)
- Responding to plumbing and electrical emergencies
- Maintain, schedule, and replace HVAC filters
- Conduct weekly inspections of all HVAC systems
- Coordinate disposal of recycled materials
- Exterior maintenance of buildings, trash disposal sites, and grounds
- Assist with setup and breakdown of public space for events and rentals
- Assist with coordination and supervision of outside contractors
- During inclement weather, maintain safety of sidewalks, steps, and walkways of all Center Stage properties
- Share “on call” status for emergency maintenance and security needs
Secondary duties include:
- Maintaining clean work areas, tools, and materials, mechanical rooms, basement, and boiler room
- Other duties as assigned
Working knowledge of basic plumbing and electrical repairs and HVAC maintenance; proficient with power tools; mechanical and maintenance tools; ability to utilize various heights of ladders and lift devices; experience with various types of lighting; fluorescent lamp and ballast repair knowledge essential; ability to lift and carry objects weighing at least (50 lbs); carpentry; drywall repair; finishing and painting experience, and possess a valid driver’s license.
Position is fulltime with benefits.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com and please put “Maintenance Assistant” in the subject line. No Calls Please.
Part-time Patron Service Associates
Baltimore Center Stage seeks Patron Service Associates, detail-oriented individuals, committed to exceptional customer service to join our fast-paced Box Office. Primary duties include ticket and subscription sales, by phone and in person; order processing; and serving as an information resource for our patrons.
Successful candidates will be energetic, computer proficient, have strong communication skills, and comfortable with multi-phone line management. Ideal candidates will also have interest or experience in theater or the arts, or box office experience. Evening and weekend hours will be required. Baltimore Center Stage is committed to building a diverse community of staff and interns. This position is a part-time 20-25 hour a week position requiring evening and weekend shifts. Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Patron Service Associate” in the subject line.
Baltimore Center Stage is in search of a part-time Teaching Artist. A Baltimore Center Stage Teaching Artist is a professional theater artist with significant experience as an instructor, who will join Baltimore Center Stage, on a part-time basis, to help young people and classroom teachers learn and utilize the skills, competencies and understandings of theater. The BCS Teaching Artist has the demonstrated ability to design and facilitate arts integrated workshops in Baltimore City area public schools.
- Co-Developing and facilitating theater and arts integration workshops for students and teachers in Baltimore City area public schools
- Facilitating up to 3 workshops per day in Baltimore City area public schools
- Collaborating with Education Department staff and classroom teachers to plan and implement lessons that align with Common Core and National Core Arts Learning Standards
- Guiding students through a process of investigation, reflection, dialogue, and dynamic action around issues and themes that are important and relevant to them
- Participating in team meetings, orientations, and trainings, as required
- Helping students and teachers gain a physical and verbal theatrical vocabulary
- Creating a fun, safe, and supportive environment for teaching and learning
- Using theater-based approaches to catalyze learning and raise levels of student engagement
- Helping students and teachers engage with stories, and share their own stories
- Helping students and teachers build creative confidence and self-awareness through their work
An ideal candidate would have:
- MFA, or an equivalent certificate or experience
- Minimum of 3 years demonstrated professional experience in their artistic discipline
- Minimum of 3 years demonstrated experience working with children and youth in Baltimore City area public schools, or in a similar urban public school system
- Awareness of Common Core Learning Standards, National Core Arts Learning Standards and MSDE Fine Arts Learning Standards
- Cultural competency and an awareness of popular youth culture
- Understanding of best practices for working with students with emotional, cognitive, and physical disabilities
- Strong critical thinkers and problem solvers
- Dynamic, resourceful, and dedicated to BCS’s mission to provide access for all
Compensation: $50–$100 per hour
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: "BCSTA". No phone calls, please.
Baltimore Center Stage is accepting applications for temporary positions in the areas listed below on an ongoing basis. Please note that temporary positions are only available during our performance season, which runs September through May. Resumes are kept on file for reference and names are added to our call list for contact as needed. An interview process is typically not required/offered. Demand for these positions varies from production to production and from season to season. Positions vary in terms of both required experience and length of commitment. Most are paid on an hourly basis, with calls lasting from four to nine hours. Enthusiasm, intelligence, reliability, and punctuality are as important as experience.
If you are interested in any of the areas below, please email a letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Running Crew: wardrobe, follow-spot operator, stagehand
- Costumes: stitching
- Electrics: rigging; hang, maintenance, and focus calls
- Scenery: painting, rigging; load-in and strike calls
- Properties: sculpting, furniture construction and reupholstery, painting, and stitching
- Sound: load-in, rigging, board operation, backline/A2